Over the past 50 years, brazed aluminum plate-fin heat exchangers (BAHXs) have become the preferred type for a variety of specialized and general applications, mainly as a result of unique capabilities in heating and cooling liquids and gases, and boiling and condensing with single and multicomponent streams. Users can benefit from their
1. exceptionally small size, weight and footprint which saves installation and space costs
2. very large surface area per unit volume combined with high heat transfer coefficients thus giving an outstanding thermal performance from a small exchanger
3. ability to handle tiny temperature differences between streams thereby reducing compressor power and giving improved reheat
4. ability to accommodate many streams in the same exchanger thus giving greater flexibility in process flow-sheet design and in process integration
5. small fluid inventory with consequent improvements in control, safety and product quality.